Here are the links for chain food (retail) stores in Italy:
FOOD (GROCERY) STORES
- A & O – "il meglio vicino a te" – In Italian Only – Source: web site
- ALTA SFERA – "CASH & CARRY" – In Italian Only – Source: web site
- Auchan – In Italian Only – Source: Group Auchan – In English, French
- Billa – In Italian Only – Source: web site
- Carrefour Italia –In Italian Only – Subsidiary of Carrefour – Source: web site
- Carrefour – hyperstores
- DìPerDì – convenience stores
- DocksMarket – cash-and-carry stores
- GrossIper – cash-and-carry stores
- GS – (GS Supermercati, Superstore GS, Iperstore GS and GS Spesaidea) – supermarkets and hyperstores – Region: Valle d'Aosta, Piemonte, Liguria, Lombardia, Emilia Romagna, Umbria, Lazio, Abruzzo, Molise, Campania, Basilicata, Puglia, Calabria e Sicilia – In Italian Only
- il Centro SUPERMERCATI – In Italian Only – Source: web site
- Conad – In Italian Only – Source: web site
- Group CR S.p.A. – Affiliated with Conad and UPIM
- E. LECLERC – joint venture: hypermarkets with Conad
- Margherita – Conad
- Coop, IperCoop (Coop Italia) – In Italian Only – Source: web site
- CRAI – In Italian Only – Source: web site
- dico DISCOUNT ITALIANO – In Italian Only – Source: web site
- Includes DIX stores
- Esselunga – Primarily in Italian with some pages in English – Source: web site
- EuroSpin Group – "is the largest Italian group in the discount food channel." – Source: web site
- famila.it – In Italian Only – Source: web site
- iper – In Italian Only – Source: web site
- iperal/Sermark/Gran dì – In Italian Only – Source: web site
- ipermercati Oasi – "PREZZI BASSI, SEMPRE" – In Italian Only – Source: Gruppo Gabrielli
- Lidl – In Italian Only – Source: web site
- Migro – Source: web site – in Italian with google translate
- Pam – In Italian Only – Source: web site
- Penny Market – In Italian Only – Source: web site
- Supermercati Orvea, iperAffi – In Italian Only – Source: web site
- Selex Group – Source: web site
- SUPERMERCATI SIGMA – "cosi buoni. cosi vicini." – In Italian Only – Source: web site
- SISA| Supermercati Italian – In Italian Only – Source: web site
- etruria Sma – In Italian Only – includes Superstore Sma, Sma, Punto, LaBottega – Source: web site
- SIMPLY MARKET/Sma S.p.A. – In Italian Only – which is part of Group Auchan – In English, French
- SPAR – Source: web site
- DeSpar – In Italian and German
- SuperELITE – primarily in Rome – In Italian Only – Source: web site
- Supermercati PiM – In Italian Only – Source: web site
- sidisMini- sidis - MaxiSidis - superSidis - Ipersidis (Midal S.p.a Distribuzione Alimentari) – In Italian Only – Source: web site
- tigre & maxi tigre – In Italian Only – Source: Gruppo Gabrielli
- Todis – "il Superdiscount" – In Italian Only – Source: web site
- Tuodì Discount – part of Gruppo Tuo – Source: web site
- List of Food Stores: Large and small in Rome – Source: RomeExplorer – In Italian Only
- Practical Shopping: Milan – In English, French, German, Italian, Spanish – Source: Easy Expat
- Supermarkets & Grocery Shops or Shopping Centres
- Liguria Supermarkets & Grocery Shops – Source: AngloINFO Liguria – "Life on the Italian Riviera, in English!"
- Milan Supermarkets & Grocery Shops – Source: AngloINFO Milan – "Life in Lombardy, in English!"
- Rome Supermarkets & Shopping Centres – Source: AngloINFO Rome – "Life in Rome, in English!"
- Tuscany Supermarkets & Shopping Centres – Source: AngloInfo Tuscany – "Life in Tuscany, in English!"
- Umbria Supermarkets & Grocery Shops – Source: AngloINFO Umbria – "Life in Umbria, in English!"
- SEE ALSO:
- Info on food and grocery stores (chain) in Tuscany/Toscana *, dated Wednesday, August 12, 2009
For your specific interest, please search the web for further information using .
The above links as of this date are/were current. If anyone has any suggestions for any other additional web sites and/or links for reference, please feel free to post your comment and I'll update this blog entry.
Please note: If you want me to reply to your comment or
NOTE: If you want to leave a comment, please leave it in ENGLISH.
Broken links: Since November, 2005, I have written over 300+ blog entries with 1,000's of corresponding links/URLs for Moving2Italy2, covering a varied and wide range of topics. In the event if you come across a broken link or a non-functioning link/URL, please post a comment and report the non-functional link. I wish to thank you in advance for assisting me in the ongoing maintenance and the updating of this successful and informative blog.
Please note: I do NOT represent or endorse any of these links nor do I receive payment for listing them in my blog.
To the readers of this blog entry, I am seeking more web sites on food stores in Italy. Please feel free to submit your favorite links (URLs) to me via this web site.
The list above is for medium to large chain food retailers in Italy. They are not an "alimentari" which is a small grocery store (mom and pop) operation. However, some of these chain food store retailers have smaller stores depending on location but they are not to be confused with the local and neighborhood alimentari. Some of the above chain food retailers are only in specific Regions or Provinces of Italy. A few of the above are headquartered outside of Italy and are Pan-European or International operations in scope, e.g., Carrefour, LECLERC, Lidl, Penny Markt.
When my wife and I have rented a house in Italy for our vacation, we will shop at one of the large chain food stores, e.g. Esselunga, Coop, etc. for a large grocery order. Then, we will either go to one of the local open air markets for produce, fruits or an alimentari (small grocery store) if we forgot something.
One think to keep in mind, when you are at one of the counters (bread, deli, hot foods, produce, etc.) at one of the larger food chain stores, know what you want to order in advance. The person behind the counter will get very impatient with you if keep her/him waiting because there are other customers wanting to get in and out of the store. It is not a time to use your limited language skills. Please come back at a later time when it is less busy and usually, the counterperson will take the time to assist you with your selection and purchase.
That's it for Monday, 21 November 2005: lunedì, 21 Novembre 2005
Today’s quote is an Italian proverb, author unknown.
"Non domandare all'oste se ha buon vino."
"Don't ask the host if he has good wine."
When you have a free moment or two, please read my wife's interesting and entertaining blog about our life in Italy with photographs:
Friends and Family in Italy
Going to Spain, read my new blog:
Info About, For or On Spain – a source of links About, For or On Spain for those individuals traveling or already living in Spain.
© Benjamin H. Licodo, 2005 - 2010, All Rights Reserved.