Here are some links on the usage of ATM, debit and credit cards in Italy and Europe:
PLEASE NOTE: The information being provided is primarily for debit and credit cards issued from institutions based in the USA except where noted below.
- Acceptance of Debit and Credit Cards – Source: FlyerGuide – ". . . is the ultimate resource for travelers who want to learn more about frequent flyer programs, earn more frequent flyer miles, and get more from their travels."
- ATM Cards in Italy - Getting Euros on your Italian Vacation – "Tips for using an ATM in Italy" – By Martha Bakerjian – Source: Italy Travel section on About.com – "Our Story"
- ATMs & Credit Cards: Minimizing Fees – Source: Graffiti Wall section on Rick Steves' Europe – "THROUGH THE BACK DOOR"
- ATM Cards and Foreign Transaction Fees - Four US ATM Cards Tested in Europe – "A Real World Test of Four ATM Cards" – Updated May 08, 2014 – By James Martin – Source: Europe Travel section on About.com – "Our Story"
- ATMs and Exchange Machines – Durant & Cheryl Imboden – Source: Europe for Visitors
- ATM 'Conversion Fees' – Durant Imboden
- Using Credit Cards in Europe – "Tips and warnings for travelers"
- Consumer Alert: Credit-Card Surcharges
- Credit Cards and Cash – "Using Credit Cards and Getting Euro in Italy" – "In this article I’ll address two FAQ, or frequently asked questions, about Italy: Can I use my credit card? and What is the best way to get euro?" – Posted Jun 30, 01:44 PM - Author Martha Bakerjian formerly wrote the Italy Travel section on About.com – "About" – Source: Martha's Italy – "A different travel guide to Italy" – Content Copyright © 2017 Marthasitaly. All rights reserved.
- Using Your ATM card in Europe – "Things you need to know about traveling with an ATM card" – By James Martin – Source: Europe Travel section on About.com
- ATM Cards and Foreign Transaction Fees - Four US ATM Cards Tested in Europe – "A Real World Test of Four ATM Cards" – [dated] – "Jan 14 2010"
- Using Debit Cards in Italy – August 8th, 2008 – by Jessica [Spiegel] – Source: Italy section of whyGo, Part of the BootsnAll Travel Network – "ONE-STOP INDIE TRAVEL GUIDE EST. 1998"
- ATM sticker shock in Florence – Posted by: SK on 27 February 2010 03:18 PM – Source: Italy Travel forum of Slow Travel Talk section on Slow Travel
- ATM card or no foreign fee credit card – Posted by: dukkar on Sep 2, 09 at 1:21am – Source: found in the Europe Forum under the Fodor's Travel Talk Forums section on Fodor's – "FOR CHOICE TRAVEL EXPERIENCES"
- How to Avoid Credit Card Problems Abroad – By MICHELLE HIGGINS – Published: June 8, 2011 – Source: Found under the Practical Traveler portion of the Travel section on The New York Times
- Credit Card Problems Abroad: Readers Respond – By MICHELLE HIGGINS – Published: June 28, 2011
- Italy: Banks & Money – "Italy Traveler Article" – Source: tripadvisor® – "get the truth. then go.™"
- Money – Please scroll down to the paragraph, ATMs and Debit Cards – Source: found under Travel Tips on the Home Page of ITALIA – "ENIT - Italian Government Tourist Board - North America"
- Tips for Living in Italy – "Money Matters" – Source: CIMBA – "... is dedicated to providing unique educational opportunities to undergraduate, graduate and executive program participants."
- SEE ALSO:
- Info on some of my blog entries (URLs) for Tuscany/Toscana, Italy *, dated Wednesday, July 22, 2009
- Info about ATMs (Automated Teller Machines) in Italy *, dated Tuesday, April 25, 2006
- Info on a Few Financial Topics in Italy *, dated Wednesday, December 7, 2005
For your specific interest, please search the web for further information using .
The above links as of this date are/were current. If anyone has any suggestions for any other additional web sites and/or links for reference, please feel free to post your comment and I'll update this blog entry.
Please note: If you want me to reply to your comment or
NOTE: If you want to leave a comment, please leave it in ENGLISH.
Broken links: Since November, 2005, I have written over 550+ blog entries with 1,000's of corresponding links/URLs for Moving2Italy2, covering a varied and wide range of topics. In the event if you come across a broken link or a non-functioning link/URL, please post a comment and report the non-functional link. I wish to thank you in advance for assisting me in the ongoing maintenance and the updating of this successful and informative blog.
Please note: I do NOT represent or endorse any of these links nor do I receive payment for listing them in my blog.
CAVEAT/WARNING: Also, before you leave on your overseas trip, please inform the issuer of your respective ATM, debit cards and/or credit cards that you may be using their respective card in a foreign country and which foreign countries. Please provide your travel departure and return dates and the countries to be visited. Failure to do so may result in the debit or credit card charge being REFUSED by the establishment where you are attempting to use your debit or credit card or at an ATM machine!
BTW, it helps to have multiple ATM, debit cards and/or credit cards with you. One night at one of the bancomat (read ATM) machines, my wife's USA issued ATM card got "eaten" by the bancomat. It took over three weeks before she had received a replacement card. The reason for the delay was that a USA issued replacement card could only be sent to our USA address of record and NOT to a foreign mailing address. This may not be the same for your respective ATM card or credit card provider but for my wife's that was the procedure in place. Fortunately for us, we were able to use my ATM card in the meantime.
That's it for Wednesday, 17 March 2010: mercoledì, 17 marzo 2010
Moving2Italy2 – #1 source of links About, For or On Italy for those individuals moving, traveling or already living in Italy.
Today’s quote is an Italian proverb / saying, author unknown.
"Il denaro apre tutte le porte."
"Money opens all doors."
When you have a free moment or two, please read my wife's interesting and entertaining blog about our life in Italy with photographs: Friends and Family in Italy
Going to Spain, read my new blog: Info About, For or On Spain – a source of links About, For or On Spain for those individuals traveling or already living in Spain.
Please note: The time listed below for this posting is Central European Time (CET)/ GMT+1.
© Benjamin H. Licodo, 2005 - 2017, All Rights Reserved